I was curious recently about the number of people killed each year by firearms compared to the number killed by drunk drivers. I ran across the “Firearms Refresher Course” below. Although some of the observations are a bit snarky, I think they are all insightful.
I attempted to find the origin of this list, but I suspect the origin has long since been forgotten. You can easily find this posted on thousands of blogs, and I make no claim to authorship. Although I’ve owned a pistol for many years, I’ve never been outspoken about the 2nd Amendment. I repeat this here because I am pro-freedom, and I understand that without arms, the People cannot remain the ultimate sovereign power.
Be sure to complete the “Firearms Take Home Quiz” at the end of the Course. I do claim to have written that.
Firearms Refresher Course
1. An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.
2. When you remove the people’s right to keep and bear arms, you create subjects.
3. Free men do not need permission to keep and bear arms.
4. If you don’t know your rights, you don’t have any.
5. You only have the rights for which you are willing to fight.
6. Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.
7. The 2nd Amendment is there in case the politicians ignore the others.
8. What part of “shall not be infringed” don’t you understand?
9. The Bill of Rights © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
10. Those who trade liberty for security have neither.
11. The 2nd Amendment – the original homeland security.
12. A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.
13. Colt: The original point and click interface.
14. You don’t shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
15. Criminals love gun control – it makes their jobs safer.
16. 9-1-1 – Government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer.
17. If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?
18. If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words and matches cause arson.
19. Assault is a behavior, not a device.
20. 64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.
21. Enforce the gun control laws we already have; don’t make more.
22. Gun control is not about guns; it’s about control.
23. Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.
24. Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
25. The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Firearms Take Home Quiz
If people can’t be trusted with guns, can they be trusted with self-government?
Is the Constitution a grant of rights from the government to the People, or is it a grant of limited authority from the People to the government?
What people will invade the United States of America if they know that in order to rule over us they first have to control millions of armed, freedom-loving Americans?
Drunk drivers with cars kill about as often as people with guns. Why aren’t you required to pass a background check and wait 10 days before you can buy a drink?
Why does every instance, no matter where in the world it happens, of a crazed gunman shooting people receive national media coverage, but the thousands of instances of ordinary people defending themselves with guns are only found in the back pages of local newspapers if they are ever reported at all?
The government has been trying unsuccessfully for the last 75 years to eliminate the existence and use of illegal drugs. Given this track record, do you believe the government can successfully eliminate the existence and use of firearms? Explain your answer in detail.
How many times has someone gone on a killing rampage at a shooting range?
Name all the totalitarian regimes that allow their citizens to keep and bear arms?